Suncare for the Summer of 2011
|photo by Michal Marcol|
Now I've always been careful with my skins exposure to the sun, but this news shows that now, more than ever skin protection is important all year round.
Loading up on SPF is your best defence when enjoying nice hot sunny days. For the last year I've been using two Neutragena products with 100+ spf but unfortunately the company doesn't offer it here in Canada (but they do have 30, 45 and 60spf which are more than antiquate). I also love Coverfx Briteprepfx with 50 spf.
My best tip for avoiding sun damage (yep damage not tanning)
- Give Yourself Time. Apply a sunscreen with a spf of 30 or higher 15 minutes before going outside. If using sunblock (physical protection like a mineral product) you don't have to wait.
- Use Enough Product. It is said a shot glass is needed for the body and a teaspoon for the face. When in doubt add more or go with a stronger spf just to be safe.
- Reapply. Reapply it after swimming or doing anything active. When in doubt put more one, just be safe. I prefer sprays for my body so I fill a travel bottle so I can reapply during the day.
- Wear Sunglasses. Wear them. You can get melanoma on your eyeballs!!! Not worth scotching your eyes when going out. Try to wear them whenever possible.
- Wear a Hat. Protect your scalp, very important for men too.
- Be Aware, Be Prepared. Check the UV index for the day. Should you bring something to cover up with if you are out for a long time? Will there be shade where you are going?
For more information here is a great article from CBC and information from The Canadian Cancer Society